Les Cultures de Chez Nous harvests 50,000 pounds of asparagus a year. The company also prepares and markets this vegetable for a dozen asparagus producers in the Mauricie and
Centre-du-Quebec regions, bringing to market an average of 450, 000 pounds annually.
Les Cultures de Chez Nous is, as a result,Quebec’s most important supplier of asparagus.
Les Cultures de Chez Nous asparagus is available in the following formats :
- Format no.1 : Boxes of 20 lb. (9.07 kg)
- Format no. 1 : Boxes of 28 lb. (12.07 kg)
(This is the format most commonly found in most supermarkets.)
- Format no. 2 : Tips partly open sold in boxes of 20 lb (9.07 kg)
- Format no. 3 : Fines (5 to 10 mm in diameter) sold in boxes of 20 lb (9.07 kg)
- Format no. 4 : Tips (15 cm length) sold in boxes of 20 lb or 5 kg
- BBQ format : Large asparagus sold in boxes of 11 lb (5 kg)
The asparagus are double tied to facilitate handling. A bar code or PLU can be added.
It is also possible to obtain asparagus packaged in micro-porous bags which prevents handling damage and allows better hygiene as well as longer shelf life.
Asparagus harvesting is seasonal, commencing around May 10th and ending about one and a half months later, depending on the weather. Les Cultures de Chez Nous cultivates 15 acres of asparagus and harvests up to twice a day during hot periods. The asparagus is delivered to Montreal and Quebec daily in refrigerated trucks.